Friday, March 28, 2014

Insecure little ones

I am a leader at a Girls Brigade company here in Brisbane, and I teach Cadets (Prep to grade 3). Each and every one of these girls are beautiful, intelligent, and thoughtfull.... But it saddens me to think that they don't want to be unique. I don't know if this sort of thing was happening when I was a kid, but it sure seems like children (especially girls) are getting less and less confident with themselves and at a very young age. I write up rules at the beginning of each GB year, and this year I decided to write "Be yourself" as one of the rules. I spent a few minutes trying to explain this rule to them, but I'm not sure if I got through to them or not. I need better ways to get through to them, as I am hoping that by the end of this year, I will have helped them to be as unique as they are. They spend a lot of time trying to be their version of perfect, by copying their peers. They are impatient, and don't want to take time in work (even the things they find exciting). I know some of this is just human nature, but I also believe that the world is turning my sweet little girls into clones who have no imagination. If I see their potential, why can't they? 
Advice/ opinions please! 

No comments:

Post a Comment